Thursday, January 27, 2011

I still don't understand fractals

12.25.10

I hope this email finds you well.  I was browsing NY Times and found this little article.  I had no idea that this very famous mathematician/magician died this past October.  It amazes me how I could miss something like this.  I have to start paying more attention to the news...

Anyway, this article gives a little bit of background on Benoit Mandelbrot, the creator of fractal geometry.  I'm impressed by this guy because of his willingness attack simple everyday questions (this is also why I like Freakonomics)...like the ones other mathematicians had 'quite literally' (say with British accent) thrown out with the rubbage.

Maybe the key to all of this is becoming a 'nomad by choice'...

But then again, I don't understand how Mandelbrot can say he did this?  I don't think his discoveries would have been possible if he completely disconnect himself from everything (e.g. looking at someones crumpled up math proof).

No comments:

Post a Comment